L.E. Smith Compote Bowl, Retrieved Feb 2021 from https://www.truevintageantiques.com/product/vintage-compote-moon-and-stars-1960s-pedestal-bowl-olive-green-farmhouse-collectible-display-cottage-shabby-chic/
My Compote Dish by L.E. Smith Company,1960s Moon and Stars, Purchased at Exhibit A, Antique Store, Dec 2019. Photo Barbara Long, March 1, 2021, Clovis, NM.

An example in a different style and color.but same moon and stars pattern from the Museum of American Glass in West Virginia, Retrieved March

from https://magwv.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/337F2572-FC09-410B-AB5D-124527354076

Catalog Number 2010.66.31

Object Name Compote

Description L.E. Smith Glass Company No. 5283 Moon and Stars, Compote, Amber

Manufacturer/Artist L.E. Smith Glass Company

Dta Made ca 1966-1983

Diameter (in) 4.5

Height (in) 4

Reference Sources Felt, L.E. Smith Glass Company, The First one Hundred Years, page 232.

7# Collections Management Discussion:

At first, I thought of researching some type of kitchen equipment for example vegetable peeler, whisk, or grater etc. As, I looked over at my kitchen counter, I noticed my green decorated candy/compote bowl. I bought this piece well over a year ago, around Christmas 2019. I paid 16 dollars for this green bowl from the antique store, Exhibit A. It was a bit much, but the color was so pretty. The store had more pieces to this collection. The maker is L.E. Smith Glass Company.

This is how people start collecting. They find something that strikes their interest visually or otherwise. It may start with a gift or something they bought and/or use on a daily basis. I once knew an individual that collected hand-made woodshop working tools. There are numerous reasons for why we collect. What was your first object that you collected and why?

It can be over whelming in an antique store. The colors range from clear white, yellow, pink, green, black, and blues etc. People collect for all sorts of reasons, for example glassmaker, rarity, specific patterns, colors, and shapes, as well as the function from a particular time-period. My 1960s dark green candy footed compote dish is decorative with scalloped edges and on the underside with moon and stars. It is supported by a small pedestal. The bowl is average in width, height and allows for anyone to easily grab a handful of mints or any other candied confection. It was a piece bought on a whim.

The company was founded by “Lew” Smith in Jennette, Pennsylvania in 1907. Smith’s company produced decor glassware in the town of Mount Pleasant. The Smith factory is famous for their design of moon and stars, which is a remake of a much older pattern from the 1800s. It was originally known as the “Palace” produced from 1984 to 1905 by the Adams Glass Company in Pittsburgh, PA and others (Weishar, 2021). His love affair with glass started in the kitchen. He is the inventor of percolator top, first glass mixing bowls and a reamer (Trietsch, 2021). He started production of colored glass in the 1920s, but is famous for his black glass with amethyst. “By the 1990s, the moon and star pattern became the hottest sought-after collectable with prices ranging in the thousands” (Weishar, 2021). Weishar bought all the moon and star moulds at the L/G. Wright Glass Companies Auction in the mid 1900’s (Weishar, 2021). The company is now closed. It was one of the last hand-moulded factories in the United States (McKay, 2004). This item can be located through Esty, eBay, vintage online auctions, trade stores, garage sales, and some are in the museums. I did view the database for the Virginia Glass Museum, The Corning Museum, a glass museum in Ohio, and a few others, as well.

Upon creating my post, I’ve discovered the maker, the design and some history on the glass company that designed my compote dish. It currently holds a small pine cone with colorful rocks. I own two pieces, a green candy bowl/compote and a large amber fruit bowl given to me as a gift, which is packed away. My compote dish does not have any cracks and is in excellent condition. I found so much information on this one piece of glass compote. Angela provided some guidance, thank you.

References

McKay, J. (2004). L.E. Smith abruptly closes. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Retrieved March 1, 2021 from https://www.post-gazette.com/business/businessnews/2004/07/03/L-E-Smith-Glass-abruptly-closes/stories/200407030074

Trietsch, R. (2021). Mt. Pleasant. Retrieved March 1, 2021 from http://www.justglass.com/documents/articles/inhouse/rt110.html

Weishar. (2021). Weishar Enterprises, Moon and Stars Glassware. Retrieved March 1, 2021 from https://weishar.com

4 Thoughts to “#7 Collections Management Discussion”

1. Erin Gingrich

Hello,
    That is a lovely piece that you have shared, I really enjoy items that have had a life of their own, that is how they gain character in my mind. In response to the question, I think that the first thing that I collected was most likely a rock! I think that it how we all start, collecting is such a universal thing that even animals are known to collect things they find attractive. When I found myself in a geology exhibit recently, I found myself return to the feelings that I had as a child and was in awe of the small and beautiful things there.
    Quyana!

Nicely recorded Barbara! The amber-colored piece you showed reminded me that my mom has that same bowl in amber! It didn’t occur to me until I just looked at it… ahhh the memories of having seasonal candy placed in there for me and my brother to try and grab when my folks weren’t looking! I love how objects can instantly take you to another place and time – this is the joy of museums – we each approach objects with our unique set of memories and experiences and you can never predict how strongly someone will react to any given object. I used to love to collect horse figurines. The old lady who lived next door to me had a huge collection and she’d always let the neighborhood kids come in and look at them in her big built-in recessed shelves with glass doors. Each visit she’d let us take out one figure and look at it up close. Before she passed away and I moved to Alaska, she gave me one figurine that I still have at my parents’ house in Iowa.

3. Tony Thompson

Hi Barbara! Great post! I love the antique candy/compote dish that you found! I, too, LOVE old/antique-looking kitchenware! My favorite section of any thrift or antique store is the glassware section. I was a bartender for a while so I love collecting different styles of glasses to serve beverages in. I once found this beautiful decanter at a thrift store that I loved dearly, but had to leave behind in a move.

I would say the first thing that I started collecting with the intention to start a collection was probably a book. I’ve loved book collections since I was a child for some reason. It’s always the most difficult part of packing when I move is trying to decide which books are coming with me and which have to be donated to friends.

Thanks for your post!

1. Barbara Long

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your comment on my post. I too love books and have the same problem. I usually donate a lot of my books to the organization Books for Africa.

Barbara