Anchorage Museum Journal Post: https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/about-us/museum-journal/museum-journal-archive/emma-hildebrand-art-as-a-process-of-connection-and-care/

For this assignment I went to the Anchorage Museum’s website and found a Museum Journal post about Artist Emma Hildebrand and her virtual artists-in-residence during the month of March that is hosted by the Anchorage Museum. The museum’s online journal is where to “Get the latest breaking news, fresh photos and top headlines from the Anchorage Museum blog,” and seems to be an actively updated place for many of the museum’s online/digital and smaller scale projects/programs. I selected this blog post because it is not something that I would typically consider a form of museum media but I believe that it fits.

The Anchorage museum’s blog post about the artist is in the form of an essay/interview of the artist by Francesca Du Brock, the Chief Curator of the Anchorage museum. It features images of the artist and her work, and highlights biographical information about the artist and her art practice. The post ends with information about the virtual artist-in-residence program, the artist’s social media account and an upcoming livestream studio demo.

The post is effective for me to appreciate the detailed photographs of the artist’s porcupine quill and caribou tufting work and it draws me in to investigate more about the artist and her arts practice. The only thing that might be helpful is to draw more attention to the information about the livestream studio demo, which seems a bit small on the end of the post.

The preservation of this blog post is something that I am a bit unsure about, as an actively updated and edited website I do see it being kept active for too long after, perhaps it will be archived on the site itself? As for saving it in other forms I am unsure as well, maybe screenshot of the page or PDF would be the best way to save this for future reference? Upon some research on this resource: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/ard156.pdf

The best format for saving this type of media would be as a PDF/A which is:

“ an ISO-standardized version of the Portable Document Format specialized for use in the archiving and long-term preservation of electronic documents.”

Sounds perfect! Though I am not sure of the PDF/A’s uses in saving a blog post I would think that it would be the best route. As for making a physical copy, it could be useful to print and save one perhaps, some archival paper and ink would be needed as well as a storage area for museum media related to online programs.

This exercise has made me consider the question of who is saving this sort of information. As an artist, I have saved newspapers with my mentions in them but with online media I have not, I have most often just googled the event and found the post again. This might not be the best practice for me! Perhaps I should be saving these postings in a PDF, PDF/A or screenshot format for when I need to reference them again. This has definitely got me thinking about my own practices when it comes to saving media and how to adjust to better document my career.
Quyana!

Q: What is your favorite form or forms of museum media?

3 Thoughts to “Anchorage Museum Journal Post”

1. Michael Hubert

erin,
    good post this week,
    you made me think this week, I also don’t save online items of mine. I just look for the website or the post . I should be thinking how to arrive these items just incase they are gone. I think as for museums I really like being able to interact with the media or hands on items in the museum. a good example of this was the Perlan museum In Iceland, they have a exhibit that is all the birds of ice land on this cliff called Látrabjarg Cliff. you use augmented reality binoculars to bring the birds to life and the information about them in the binoculars.

Thanks Erin, great post and excellent questions about the form of archiving online blog posts. I think we all assume the internet is forever. But museums deal in a different understanding of forever and technology is constantly changing. As organizations rely more on web-based advertising and communications, we should really be doing a better job of keeping files on what we put out there. As a collection manager, I’m a big fan of hard copies. I know we’re supposed to be thinking about sustainability in museums right now, but it’s hard for us to sustain our educational missions if the content we generate disappears when our parent organization decides to change their content management system (CMS) for our websites. Saving online posts, whatever the format, as a PDF/A is a great option, and then printing it out in color on buffered office paper and filing in a binder or archival files will ensure that these public statements are accessible for the future.
    Here’s a post I found at the Smithsonian about Web and Social Media Archiving – might be interesting to check out! I found it surprising that they don’t seem to do any hard-copy archiving. It might just be a matter of scale! https://siarchives.si.edu/what-we-do/digital-curation/web-and-social-media-archiving
    My favorite form of museum media are short videos or audio files to help me see objects in their original context. I also love seeing media that show how things are made (time lapse is awesome). I’m also really coming to love augmented reality, for the ability to change your perspective and place you in a new context, even virtually.

3. Tony Thompson

Hi Erin,
    This is something that I think about a lot. When I think about a lot of the history that we know about people, places, and things, a lot of our information comes from written letters, official records, etc. I wonder how email, texts, and social media-like content and their erasure will affect future generations and their knowledge of what happened during the Information Age.
    To answer your question, I (like Angela said above) love short video clips especially of historical nature. I’ve been doing a deep dive of the Alaska Film Archive channel on YouTube recently and have been enjoying learning bits about Alaska history in short bursts. But they’re also more immersive than just reading about the time period. Thanks for your post!