Object Name: Pan, Miner’s

Date: c. 1900

Materials: iron

Culture: American

Categories:Tools and Equipment

Provenance & Object History: Owned by John Minook (formerly Ivan Pavlof), who discovered gold on Little Minook Creek.

Dimensions: 41.9 x 41.9 x 7 cm (16 1/2 x 16 1/2 x 2 3/4 in.)

Description: Circular iron gold pan with a flat bottom and flaring sides.

Credit: Gift of Joe Smith

Accession#: 1970.001.023

So, while I was trying to figure out what I was going to use in my house to do this week’s post I saw the gold pan and thought this was probably a really good item to use and a good story to go with it. When we first moved here over five years ago, we did all the tourist stuff. One of the things we went to was to this little gold panning place called gold sisters and I took my daughter there and she panned for gold and she actually got a decent amount of gold from this place and she was hooked. Then we went out to the dredge and took the tour, and she did some more gold panning, and she got a few more pieces of gold and from that point on we knew what they meant fine gold fever. She had to pan for gold so bad that we actually bought call penny in equipment such as pans and shovels true some minor filters. She then had me drive out to Nome Creek, which is a four-mile part of the river you can pan for gold for free in the White mountains National Park. We got there about 7:00 AM. she scoured the River for the perfect place to start her gold panning expedition. surprised me what I thought would be short day turned out to be a 14-hour day panning for gold. But she wasn’t done. Our 14-hour day turn into a week’s long journey of gold panning in this river. But she was successful and managed to pan almost 1/2 ounce of gold in that week. At this time, I was getting back into painting and I wanted to paint something that was Alaskan or a scene from Alaska and I had one of the gold pans we had used and also had dropped and bent so I decided I was going to paint one of my first Alaska art projects on the gold pan. So, it hangs in our house on a wall in our kitchen. So I used the Anchorage museum’s catalog to find a miners pan that would have been used for possibly gold panning. So above is the picture of the one that is in the Anchorage museum and all of its documentation from the website. And below is the one that I have that I painted  and added what kind of information would be attached to mine if I would have given this to the museum.

Object Name: Pan, Miner’s

Date: 2017

Materials: Steel

Culture: American

Categories: Tools and Equipment

Provenance & Object History: Owned by Myka Hubert (daughter of Michael Hubert), who discovered gold on Nome Creek, Alaska.

Dimensions: 41.9 x 41.9 x 7 cm (16 1/2 x 16 1/2 x 2 3/4 in.)

Description: Circular steel gold pan with a flat bottom and flaring sides. Painted with Alaska scene

Credit: Gift of Michael Hubert

Accession#: 2017.007.011

4 Thoughts to “COLLECTIONS MANGEMENT (Disscussion #7)”

1. Tony Thompson

What a great story! Thanks for sharing! I think we’ve all had similar experiences where a casual hobby turns into a slight obsession for a minute (haha); very relatable! I like how you made parallels between the object entered in the Anchorage museum and your home-found object. The paining on the pan is incredible! I love how you were able to capture the ephemeral nature of the auroras with paint on a pan! So cool.

2. Barbara Long

Good Evening,

I enjoyed your post. Great miner’s pan. Most people do not have one in their home. Your museum find (look alike) is so cool. Thank you for providing additional information through the museum’s database. Again, thanks for sharing.
    Barbara

3. Erin Gingrich

Hello,
    Thank you for sharing the item and the story to accompany it, material use data is very valuable to items I feel and they really create the narratives that are being preserved by the collection of the item. Oral histories are so very wonderful and I always enjoy being shared history this way. Quyana!

Michael, your gold pan painting joins a great history of making art inside that iconic piece of Alaskana. Back in 1985 our museum teamed up with the Stonington Gallery in Seattle to create “Panned Art,” which was a juried show where artists submitted gold pan art. My favorite piece that came out of that show and into the museum’s collection was a piece by Terry Choy called “Alaska Go Pan” (http://arctos.database.museum/guid/UAM:Art:UA1985-003-020). Seen in the museum publication “Looking North” Wanda Chin (our former head of exhibits and good friend of Choy) wrote this about it: “Goldpan painting, a popular form of Alaskan art, typically shows romantic scenes of cabins, caches nestled in summery woods, sunsets, or winter’s dazzling aurora. Go Pan breaks out of the two-dimensionality of this tradition in its assemblage of commercial caster wheels, hardware, and found objects. By using a variety of items that rarely find their way into artworks, Choy pokes fun at the saccharine nostalgia of goldpan painting. The disembodied mannequin leg expresses his views on society’s commodification of female beauty; the casters allude to the slippery wheeled rush of technology. Choy’s frigid blues, similar to those of a Sydney Laurence landscape, become in this piece cool, hip, and modern. This intentionally unbalanced sculpture teases us to relinquish some old-fashioned ideas about Alaska and its art.”