This week’s discussion about museum exhibits I chose two different online exhibits that are both unique in the way that they present the material for these online exhibits. The two that I chose was the Musee de’ Orsay, Paris France and the British Museum, London. Both are uniquely different in a way that they present the information or the items to be seen. First let’s start with the museum de Orsay. When you go to the link you will see a unique way to layout their web page so you can find things paid you have online exhibitions that you can click on and view through or scroll through different things that to include videos photos and other things. You also have different tabs that you can view so you can see oil paintings or canvas paintings impressionism or just things from France alone. You can change from a view of time period so you can scroll through times to see when things were painted or so if you’re looking for something specifically in 1887 you can find pieces that were painted around. You also have the option to look at a paint palette so if you’re looking for something has specific colors or tones you can click on those colors and it’ll bring up those objects that might have that tonal value to it. You also have a way to take a virtual walk through the museum. I found this very interesting in the fact that since I can’t travel there and see these things in person I can virtually walk through the museum. With being able to do this I can zoom in on pieces I can look at finer detail with pieces I can stand back from a piece stand close to a piece. I can find pieces that I only want to look at and skip some that I might not want to or be interested into looking at. There were some drawbacks with this 3D rendering. One that is sometimes can be a little bit hard to navigate and then other times if I wanted to look at a piece a little bit closer that piece might not have the ability to do that whereas others do. Overall, this online exhibition or virtual exhibition that they have put together seems to be encompassing a lot of different aspects so that way lot more people would be interested in seeing the items that they have on this page. It has a lot of different options for many different people to look at different things that they might be interested and really thought out. I believe the way that they created this was to allow people they have different backgrounds and different wants to see this artwork and enjoy it in their own way.

Link:

https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/musee-dorsay-paris?hl=en

The second one was the British Museum, London. They call this an online exhibition or a virtual exhibition. This one is a little different in the way that they lay out the material. It is set up so that way you click on these color dots that represent certain time periods from 2,000,000 BC -AD 2000.With the way that they have done this or created this space it’s very limited on what you can select on just for the fact that they only have the pieces that they’ve selected for that dot or time. So, it doesn’t give you a wide range of options to see different things. And I think this is one of the drawbacks that it has is that it only allows you to see the specific things that they picked and not search through different items. It also has a tab called find out more where you can find out a little bit more about the object it might have some audio or video clips that go along with that object a map from the Google Maps to show you where it was located or found and then some little icons to show you related items to this piece. Another way you can search this timeline is you can search it by some of the categories they’ve put things into which is art in design, living and dying, power an identity, religion and belief, and trade in conflict. You can see all of these things at one time, or you can select just one of those areas to look at it also gives you the options to see pieces in Europe Oceanic Asia North America and South America. Overall, I think this is a good concept but not being able to have the option to search multiple pieces or to see a lot more pieces is one of the biggest drawbacks. Also, another drawback is that you can click on the photo of the item and it will give you a bigger picture but there is no option to zoom in or to see the back or of the item or maybe even a 3D rendering of the item it’s just what the photo was taken of is what you’re going to be able to get to see. One of the other things that is interesting is that they sometimes have audio clip that goes along with the artifact and it’s nice to hear somebody speak about what the object is versus you just reading the little information blog that they have on it. So, for this exhibit if you are looking for a specific piece in the time frame and they had it on here then the information would be good for you but if you wanted the ability to personalize your experience in a way that was more geared to what you were looking for or your interests this is probably not the one that you want to use. It’s still a good way to get information and see the different pieces but it just doesn’t work as well as the other exhibit.

Link:

https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com

On another topic, I have recently found out about Google’s Art & cultural app. For those that don’t know about it it’s an app that allows you to search through Google to explore museums gallery’s, it allows you to do a lot of different exploration in the world of arts and museums and things that you might not be able to see in person at this time. One of my favorites is called the hidden world of the tank room. The tank room at the Natural History Museum houses many of the museums 20 million wet specimens stored in alcohol this allows you to take a 360-degree tour of the senior creator of fish Oliver Crimmen and the view highlight images of the strange and spectacular collection space. Another one of my favorites is the biodiversity wall in Berlin this allows you to see the biodiversity wall and their 3000 specimens.  I really like the ability to search thru things and discover and learn new places and things that I might not be aware of before.

Feel free to check it out

Link:

https://artsandculture.google.com

2 Thoughts to “Discussion #11”

1. Erin Gingrich

Hello, looks like you were able to see some interesting exhibits. I wonder what other ways that museums can make their virtual exhibits more experience based, the amount of interaction seems to collate more to academic presentation of information and not as much space and content interaction. Is it successful to make a virtual space based on a place based experience or would it be helpful to commit to the different options presented by the web and explore the way a online museum could be without those constraints. I would love to see a museum invite guest curators to remake their exhibits online using their online collections, could get some new and rewarding perspectives with those kinds of exhibitions. Quyana for sharing!

2. Tony Thompson

Hi Michael,

This was a super interesting post this week! Thank you for sharing! Despite its flaws that you mentioned in your post, I really like the British Museum’s exhibit. I love interactive experiences and being able to virtually travel through the timeline was really cool to me and also kind of gave the pieces a bit of context into the time relative to other pieces.

I didn’t know about the Google Art and Culture app either! I found an “exhibit” called Visual Crosswords where you kind of put different pieces in parts of a puzzle based on different pairing criteria. I love a good puzzle or crossword so it was a really fun way to learn more about different art pieces and think about them in a more deep and engaging way.

Thanks again for your post this week!