I chose the The National World War II Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. This formerly known as The National D-Day Museum, is a military history museum located in the Central Business District of New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.

The museum focuses on the contribution made by the United States to Allied victory in World War II. Founded in 2000, it was later designated by the U.S. Congress as America’s official National WWII Museum in 2003. The museum is a Smithsonian Institution affiliated museum. The National WWII Museum is a private non-profit institution. They have received federal, state, and private funds for initial construction and the ongoing Road to Victory Expansion. This museum looks to be run by a board of trustees and two founders Stephen E. Ambose and Gordon H. Mueller and a group of executive officers. The museum puts out an annual report that goes over a lot of different things from distance learning, to where the museum is going, to their financials for each year. There is not much on the ethics policies of the information that they would control or some of the artifacts that they might have. They do list a private policy which lays out anything from disclosure of personal information to artifacts with the museum.

Their mission is to tell the story of the American experience in the war that changed the world and why it was fought, how it was won, and what it means today—so that all generations will understand the price of freedom and be inspired by what they learn.

The Museum offers a compelling blend of sweeping narrative and poignant personal detail, The National WWII Museum features immersive exhibits, multimedia experiences, and an expansive collection of artifacts and first-person oral histories, taking visitors inside the story of the war that changed the world. Beyond the galleries, the Museum’s online collections, virtual field trips, webinars, educational travel programs, and renowned International Conference on World War II offer patrons’ new ways to connect to history and honor the generation that sacrificed so much to secure our freedom.

This museum has a set vision statement and a list of core values that they go by. It does give you a sense of what they’re trying to accomplish.

The National World War II Museum VISION:

In fulfillment of our designation by Congress as “America’s National WWII Museum,” we will:

1. Inspire people, young and old, to embrace the lessons of this monumental global conflict from its stories of heroism, human tragedies, voices of liberation, and the fruits and responsibilities of victory.
  2. Create and maintain a world-class museum campus of pavilions and exhibitions.
  3. Engage worldwide audiences by providing access to our collectionsexhibits, and oral histories through innovative outreachdistance learningnew media, and creative museum experiences.
  4. Interact with diverse communities to expand their understanding of the history and meaning of America’s role in World War II and its relevance for today and for the future.
  5. Become a place for people to understand and feel America’s strengths and values.
  6. Serve as a catalyst for cultural tourism to strengthen the economic and community development of New Orleans and Louisiana.

The National World War II Museum VALUES:

COMMITMENT TO THE DEFENSE OF FREEDOM

COURAGE

OPTIMISM

DETERMINATION

SACRIFICE

TEAMWORK

GENEROSITY

VOLUNTEERISM

Overall, this museum if you have never been to is one you should put on your list. The first time I ever went to this museum I was in awe not only of the amount of stuff that they had in the museums and the way the exhibitions were curated. But not only that I had a chance to listen to a survivor that was there that was donated his time for the week to just talk to people from that and explain some of the things that had gone on during this time. And afterwards the gentleman was so nice enough to take some personal time out and just talk to people one on one. This museum is one of the ones that I think is truly moving in a way that it touches you on a humanity level.

Question: Have you ever been truly moved by a museums exhibit? If So where and what was it?

2 Thoughts to “Discussion #4 ( Governance)”

1. Xochi Harbison

Hey Michael! 🙂
    I liked your post and as an aside I really like the architecture of the museum for some reason. As for your question, I have definitely been moved by multiple museum exhibits and in a number of different ways. I’ve cried at the beauty in art museums, I’ve been intellectually challenged at a number of cultural exhibits, but on the same note at the museum you chose, I have cried and feel the deepest empathy at every Holocaust museum I have ever been to. The horror and cruelty always breaks me, especially the museums on the grounds of camps, whose walls were witness to that horror, I’ve started crying just remembering it. Besides the pure evil that causes this reaction in me, so does the memory of the first one I ever visited, which was in Washington D.C. and I went when I was 7 or 8 years old. The thing that has always stuck with me an emersion experience they had. The concept was, when you enter the museum, you received a card with the name and age of a person who was in a camp and the person reflected you, so I got a young girl who was 11 and then you walk through all this documentation of the war and when you get to the exit you scanned the card and you’d find out if you survived or not. I was so young I had very little context of what the Holocaust was, so I was excited at the beginning “oh look she’s like me” and I just remember being so traumatized by all the horrific images and then at the end my entire family died. It was a very empathizing experience that made me so sad and I carry it with me always. I feel like these kinds of museums are so important to experience, learn from and remember.

What an amazing story you shared Xochi – thank you for telling us about that formative experience. The power of museums to generate truly meaningful and intimate experiences never ceases to amaze me.