After listening to the definition of what a museum is a reading this week’s material watching the videos, I think your ideal definition of museum it’s going to be unique to each and every one of us. This is seen in just trying to change the definition of what a museum is on how many people have different thoughts what that definition should be. Each person is going to be going to a museum for their own specific reason. And with this I think museums need to be all encompassing.  They need to try have to have something for everybody. Which means that they need something from that three-year-old that is going to the museum for their first time to the 80-year-old man that has been going to a museum all his life. Museums have to be a place where anybody can come and learn have an enjoyable time and leave wanting to come back. I think today with technology I think you have multiple ways to interact with museum guests as they come in to make things interactive, to highlight some things that you might not have been able to years from the past such as videos and different objects in the museum here we also have better ways of preserving things and showing things so you have that aspect of that technology that it can increase and help with bringing people into museum and making it an enjoyable time for them. With also taking other classes and learning where some of this materials or these exhibitions or these artifacts have come from and how they were collected there is a dark side to museums and how those things came about and I think it’s really important for the museum to take ownership of the past in the way that things were brought to them but also look to the future on trying to make sure that those things are preserved and that they work with those cultures too showcase them in a way that benefits both the museum and the culture if not give the artifacts back to those people. Museums that have gone to where I’ve gotten the most enjoyment from are those ones where I’ve gone in there and I’ve come out learning of something new some new culture a new exhibit new artifact piece of art that I hadn’t seen before where it makes me feel good that I learn something new and also makes me want to come back and have that same experience. So, in a way I think my ideal museum would be something that would be all inclusive have some technology, some hands-on experiences make it where people would like to learn. The museum also needs to show that they are working with different cultures if they’re showing cultural work or artifacts encompass or bring in that culture to work with that exhibition and get really hands-on with that culture and the people that they are about to exhibit in the museum. I also find it very fun and interesting to find those unique museums something that has found its niche or that you might not see every day and those people that run those museums have a great passion for what those museums are and so I feel like some of those smaller museums also need to be highlighted. In a recent trip to Iceland, we went and visited a bunch of museums while we’re traveling. But I think the one that I had the most fun at the one that stuck out in my mind was this small, teeny museum called the punk rock museum. Since I’m an avid fan of music I thought this would be a great opportunity to go see this museum. Now this is not your average museum since it is located in the bottom of a public toilet. I know what you’re thinking a public toilet none of the toilets work they’ve reconstructed it to make it a small museum in the walkways of the public area in Iceland. This small museum was by far one of the funniest ones that I’ve been in too just for the uniqueness of where it’s at and located and also just the interactive nice in there in the museum. There is a drum set and guitars and music instruments that you can play while you’re down in there but not only that you can go through some of the history of Icelandic music in Icelandic punk rock bands that have made it big throughout the world so even though it’s a small unique museum it makes it interactive and it makes it fun for somebody to go to and I think with museums you have to have that ability to make people want to come back make that ability to be remembered whether it be an exhibit A piece of art or a unique location that calls people to it but it also allows you to see things that you might not have ever seen before also and I think that with a museum that is what its purpose is to educate and show and make people want to come back and learn.

Question: Do you think that these smaller unique museums have a place in the world today? And would you visit them?

Here are links to the museum articles and the Facebook page.
Articles Links:

https://www.museeum.com/former-public-toilet-is-home-for-a-punk-museum/

https://grapevine.is/icelandic-culture/music/2016/11/11/keep-it-underground-the-icelandic-punk-museum-opens/

Facebook Link:

https://www.facebook.com/Bankastraeti0

website:

https://thepunkmuseum.is

3 Thoughts to “HISTORY OF MUSEUMS ( Discussion one)”

1. Martin Gutoski

I know I’m late in getting into the class queue(and credit) for this discussion, but I will saturate bomb you all with my never ending story of being director of the Tanana Valley Railroad Museum in Fairbanks for six years. So stay tuned for my ramblings in module 2 of museum types.

Mike, thanks for sharing your ideas for the ideal museum. I love these little “hole-in-the-wall” museums for the instant community you feel when you arrive and when you connect with the content. You see the passion that people (sometimes a single person!) has had for a particular subject and their desire to share that passion with others. There seems be some additional joy we get from sharing our “stuff,” whatever the original motivation for the initial collecting.
    These little museums, in my view, definitely have a role to play and particularly in small communities (tho it is a joy to find them hidden in major urban centers!) where they help to capture the histories or legacies of noted individuals. Maybe their preservation standards aren’t up to “AAM accreditation” levels in dealing with the 10 agents of deterioration (which we’ll learn about in future modules), and maybe they don’t follow recommendations for label length or voice, but they are about preserving and perpetuating an appreciation for a particular topic and help provide a physical space for like-minded individuals.

3. Erin Gingrich

Hello, that was a great example of a small museum with a specific focus and subject. I really love small museums because they are mostly run by people with a real passion and connection to the subject being represented and often there is some much to be learned from these unique perspectives being shared. I feel that small/ local museums like the one you shared provide an important role in making space for stories to be told and information to be shared about a community often from that community, enabling direct contact with those who are often truly invested in the stories being told. Quyana (Thank you)!