Person holding plastic container with juvenile fish in a river.
Seining in the Elwha River in northwest Washington.

Hi, everyone!

My name is Tony. I am just finishing up my undergrad degree in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. I’m currently located in Fairbanks, but I grew up in Georgia and traveled quite a bit working in various national parks before coming to UAF to complete my degree. I’ve loved museums since I was a kid visiting the Museum of Arts and Sciences in Macon, Georgia. A couple of my favorite museums are the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria, B.C. and the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland, Oregon. I love science and natural history exhibits! 

I am currently working with Dr. Andrés Lopez, the curator of the Ichthyology collection at the UA Museum of the North, doing environmental DNA research. I’m very much looking forward to learning more about museums in general, especially potential career opportunities in the field!

One Thought to “Introduction: Tony Thompson (he/they)”

We’re happy to have you in our class Tony! We look forward to hearing your perspectives as a student in ecology and evolutionary biology – we’ll have lots of opportunities for you to think about the particular uniqueness of science and natural history museums in contrast to art and history museums.