This week’s discussion on finding an online museum or a museum with a piece of media and consider all the items that would have to go into conserving that and the preservation and maintenance of that file the first ones I can think of would be from the National World War Two museum in New Orleans. If you haven’t been there before I would highly suggest that you make a trip to see this museum. The museum not only has physical pieces of memorabilia or artifacts from this time period and from. But it has a lot of audio video representation from news outlets testimonies and anything they could gather to put into this museum. So as an overall museum that has a lot of items that they have to archive in a media sense of videos audiotapes film they have a lot of different things that they need to consider when they are trying to archive this information so that it will be in this museum and also last for generations to come. I’m sure there’s a lot of work that has gone into all of this material that they have and continue to have pour into the museum so that way that they can tried to preserve this and being able to switch it from one type of medium to a different type so that they can use it in the museum it’s very important that they do because some of these documents or some of these testimonies will be lost forever if they can’t somehow preserve them because they would have been given to or from people that might have already passed away and we don’t have anything else but this media from them to carry on their legacy. One of the things that I came across from visiting this museum was a special exhibit called the Dimensions and Testimony: Liberator Alan Moskin.

Here is a brief description about this exhibit.

An initiative from USC Shoah Foundation, this installation records and displays first-person accounts in an innovative way, preserving the dialogue between those who lived through the Holocaust and audiences well into the future. This groundbreaking interactive “conversation” combines advanced filming techniques, specialized technologies, and natural language processing to create an interactive biography with Holocaust survivors, witnesses to genocide, and liberators. The installation on our campus, a beta version that will help USC Shoah Foundation to refine the experience, features US Army Sergeant Alan Moskin, who helped liberate Gunskirchen Lager concentration camp in Austria, with the 66th Infantry Regiment, 71st Infantry Division. Through the Dimensions in Testimony system, visitors will be able to ask questions to a digital projection of Moskin and hear real-time responses from previously conducted interviews

Through the Dimensions in Testimony interactive biography developed by USC Shoah Foundation, visitors will be able to ask questions to a digital display of Moskin and hear real-time responses from his pre-recorded video interviews. While USC Shoah Foundation has produced interactive biographies with Holocaust survivors before, Moskin is the first American WWII veteran and first liberator to be featured. Through this interactive technology, our visitors will feel as if they have been able to speak directly with a WWII veteran.

With this exhibit like it said in the brief description they have to use a technology that is new to a lot of people but also have to think about how to preserve this technology so that it can be used in the future and so that it can live in this museum so many more people can see or have this conversation with Mr. Moskin it’s also important to preserve this information from his point of view and his original testimony before he passes away because once that is done we lose all this information. The people in this project would have to be thinking about all the visual equipment that they would need and as time goes on how to replace that visual equipment so that it’s compatible with newer versions. The archival pieces whether be on a hard drive or recordings or any of that part of that media would also have to be thought about of how to preserve it long term and as that changes how do we upgrade that piece of media so that way it continues to have a life. When you think about media in museums or just in general you have to really start to think about where I’m going to keep this how am I going to preserve it and what happens if the technology upgrades how do I get it from the old media to the new media and get that transfer so that it can keep living there are a lot of things that go along with museums and media that have to be thought about as far as a future with this item and make sure that we don’t lose important things like history from Mr. Moskin or even languages from native tribes or indigenous people that might no longer be with us. But there is also a cost with this and then that also plays a factor in it too as far as how costly would it to keep this project going or to maintain it too so there’s definitely a lot of different things that you have to think about when you start a project like this or when you’re just archiving stuff from your own life and you want to make sure that your kids or your other family members have access to this stuff. I know that learning more about media and how to preserve it I have started to think about things that I would like to preserve in my own life so that way my family has it later on such as photographs such as recordings videos things like death and then also to make sure that I have backups so in case something happens that I don’t lose that information in its loss forever.

I am going to add the links to the museum

https://www.nationalww2museum.org

the link to the page for Mr. Moskin exhibit.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/visit/museum-campus-guide/louisiana-memorial-pavilion/joe-w-and-dorothy-d-brown-foundation/dimensions-testimony-liberator-alan-moskin

and the link to his testimony

https://www.ww2online.org/view/alan-moskin#prewar-life-and-diversity

Question: What would you feel would be important to you to have some kind of archive or digital collection of?

2 Thoughts to “Media Discussion # 10”

Wow, Michael, this sounds like a really amazing way to interact “personally” with a WWII vet in the context of a museum exhibit. Media like this really can help visitors connect with the people who lived these historical events that we all know about, but sometimes forget happened to individuals. It’s true there are undoubtedly many complicated and expensive pieces of hardware and software that the museum will have to maintain. And clearly keeping archival copies (and hard-copy transcripts, which are the best archival form of course) will be an important long-term impact of this project.
    For myself, I wish I’d talked to my grandpa more about his own WWII experiences as a bombardier in a B-17 bomber. Luckily he wrote down some that has been shared online! https://www.waukonstandard.com/articles/2019/11/06/family-wwii-veteran-dr-everette-linn-shares-his-recollection-service-b-17-bomber

2. Barbara Long

Good Afternoon,

I know this one. It is my absolute favorite. In response to your question: A digital archive of Tribal Chiefs from the past talking or sharing what they know to modern day Tribal Chiefs. Thank you for sharing. PBS did a special on this digital presentation for Veterans. I believe one was also done on Holocaust survivor as well.
    Barbara