Paġlagivsi (Greetings), the Royal Saskatchewan Museum (RSM), Regina SK Canada has both natural history collections and Cultural collections and features six key exhibits, those being the: CN T. rex gallery, Earth sciences gallery, First Nations gallery, Life sciences gallery, a traveling exhibits space and “Megamunch”, a half-sized robotic Tyrannosaurus rex. This museum being located in Canada does not exactly have non-profit status as defined in the US but it is a registered Charitable Business which seems to be the Canadian equivalent.  The RSM is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors that operates under an organization called The Friends of the Royal Saskatchewan Museum.  Donations for the museum are sent to the friends group and most of the public facing operations are run by individuals connected to the friends group.  The ten person board are all listed on the friends group page, along with the current Annual Report and Financial Statements surprisingly.  

The mission of the RSM is listed on the about tab of the website and is: 

“Collecting, preserving, interpreting and sharing knowledge with communities.

We may consider ourselves successful when all people are fully involved in this process of learning and understanding, and, therefore, are able to interpret the world around them and make informed and wise decisions regarding their cultures and resources”.

The vision statement is also listed as: 

“A society wherein our natural and cultural heritage is understood and appreciated”.

There is also a Mandate on this page as well that states: 

“The Royal Saskatchewan Museum furthers an understanding of Saskatchewan’s natural history and aboriginal cultures, past and present. It communicates that understanding through all available media, especially exhibits and publications, in a culturally and scientifically sensitive manner for the purposes of education and enjoyment. The Museum’s principal means of understanding and communicating is through acquisition, conservation and research of appropriate material evidence of human and natural history.

To further the understanding of Saskatchewan’s natural history and aboriginal cultures the Museumcollects, studies and preserves specimens, artifacts and information that illustrate and contribute to knowledge of Saskatchewan’s natural history and aboriginal cultures; interprets and communicates knowledge about Saskatchewan’s natural history and aboriginal cultures through exhibits, demonstrations, lectures, publications, films and special programs; and,actively supports other scientific, scholarly or amateur groups or individuals involved in the study of Saskatchewan’s natural history and aboriginal cultures”.

A policies page is available on their website and it covers three topics: 

• Policy On Approval of Adjacent Events
  • Gift Acceptance Policy and Procedures
  • FRSM’S Statement of Fundraising Ethics

Another feature of their website that I was pleasantly surprised about was a privacy tab that provides information about the gathering (or not)  of personal information by visiting the website.  Contact information is provided on this page if one has issues with their privacy policies or if you wish to contact them outside of the internet.

In summary I was quite pleased by the amount of information and details provided on the website of the RSM, there is even some information about the museums commitment to sustainability and it states that:

“This part of our website is devoted to RSM research into the role that museums and heritage can play in sustainability education and community development”.

Which is just fantastic to see.  I was also very happy to see the use of First Nations language on their First Nations gallery page, though it would be valuable for them to state who translated the welcome and/or from what culture/area comes from.  I have not had the opportunity to visit this museum yet but it is now on the list.  Quyana!

Resource Links: 

https://www.royalsaskmuseum.ca/rsm 

https://royalsaskmuseum.ca/rsm/about 

https://royalsaskmuseum.ca/rsm/give/friends-of-the-museum 

https://royalsaskmuseum.ca/rsm/policies 

https://royalsaskmuseum.ca/rsm/privacy 

Q:  Do you prefer short or long mission statements?  Why is that your preference?

5 Thoughts to “Royal Saskatchewan Museum, Regina SK Canada”

1. Barbara Long

Good Afternoon Erin,

A thorough and lovely post Erin with great information. Mission statements tend to change and/or evolve overtime. This may be due to management ideas, creativity, change in interests, different goals/objectives, funding, community involvement, local, state and federal regulations to name a few.
    A mission statement can be written simplistically. I have no preference for a short or long mission statement. Thanks for sharing.
    Barbara

2. Michael Hubert

Erin,
    I feel like mission statements evoke as time goes on. I think if you e statement is long or short as long as it gets the point across. you also do not eat to loose the attention of who is reading it or have them question what you are trying to say. thank you for sharing your discussion

3. Xochi Harbison

Hi Erin! Great post. I popped over to the website to take a look around because I liked their mission statement. I did find one thing a little odd. The museum seems focused on nature (life sciences) and history (dinosaurs), and while their first nations exhibits seems wonderful, did you find it odd that it is placed in the context of these other exhibits? I tend to be very skeptical of depictions of first nations as historical or in the past, but I could be reading into it too much and I just wondered if you had maybe visited this museum or if you knew if there was an inclusion of modern first nations adaptations or growth or anything like that, and by modern I mean like late 1900 and the past 20 years, because I know that Canada like America doesn’t have the best relationship with its Indigenous peoples.
    Anyway, to your question, I prefer shorter mission and vision statements. I feel like the shorter the definition or the more brief description, leave the widest interpretation. I also think that for mission statements, more words can make their visions more convoluted or complicated where as shorter ones allow you to feel like “this is what it is” very matter of fact, and as other people said, these statements change over time so it can be adapted if more words are needed. 🙂

Xochi, your point about the placement of objects and stories of Indigenous cultures within museums labeled as “Natural History” has been a topic of discussion for decades (I first remember discussing it in my museum studies courses at the U of Iowa back in ~1993!). The idea that Native Americans should be included as part of the “natural world” instead of that world depicted in art or history museums is one that scholars and activists have been working against for years. And yet we still see it happening all around the world. This is a good reason why a museum might change its mission and vision statement, and improve its efforts to undergo meaningful consultation with local tribes.

2. Erin Gingrich

Hello,
      I have not been to this museum personally, it was recommended to me to fit the assignment which asked to “choose a nonprofit museum representing a cultural collection and a natural history collection.” I did not find the kinds of exhibits in the museum any more odd then any other museum that has cultural and natural history exhibits together. From reading this page:
      https://royalsaskmuseum.ca/rsm/research/indigenous-studies/repatriation-and-shared-stewardship
      It sounds like they have an active relationship with the First Nations peoples whos objects are stored in their collections and I am happy to see that they have a protected collection for sacred objects that is not for open for exhibit or research but is accessible to First Nations peoples with ties only. However these are good questions to be asking!